New to this

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to this

Hi guys I've just purchased myself a 2012 Citroen ds3 hdi 90. When I first drove it I noticed how underpowered it was so had a stage one remap bringing up to 124 bhp, it's made a huge difference. However, and this is my issue. It's so damn bumpy on the road it feels every single one to the point I feel it on the steering where it can physically jump out your hands, it also doesn't feel overly connected to the road like my Audi A3 which is many years older. Is this just tbd DS3 or is it something else? I also have a very annoying message being displayed and a beep about air bag fault, it goes away if u mess with some wires under the passenger seat but only for a short time. Finally now the start stop has failed, it flashes us as eco on dashboard but doesn't cut out. Could any of you please help me with the above?

Welcome to the club

I would check your tire pressures are right and your wheels are balanced. Unless itís a particularly bad road, I donít really notice the bumps.

Sounds like the clip for the seat airbag is loose, get it firmly plugged in then cable tie it to keep the good connection.

Stop start checks a number of things before it will stop, in the cold dark conditions weíve been having, Iíd imagine the heater and lights being on will contribute. If it flashes when coming to a stop, itís working correctly but the required conditions havenít been met (check your manual for a list).
    - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
    - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Maybe you have a failed Damper/Spring.

As too start stop. tons of things will not stop the engine, but here is a few:

If your heater is up to High,
      If you have your A/C on.
      Battery voltage low,
      Car has only just been started and is cold.
      Door is open,
      Seatbelt undone
      handbrake is off and vehicle is moving forward slightly.
      the clutch is not fully depressed.

Simon

Peugeot 208 GTi Prestige - Orange Power

Comment

No had all the springs and shocks checked as well as track rod ends too. These are low profile tyres on 17 inch rims, standard wheels but been told low profile tyres can cause a bumpy ride and believe me it is. Apparently the airbag warning light and beeping is something to do with some connectors under the passenger seat so I'll get this looked at. Any advice on these wheels and tyres would be appreciated. Finally are the clutch biting points usually high on these cars?

Comment

Originally posted by Optare1 View Post
          Finally are the clutch biting points usually high on these cars?
          Yup, a common question by new owners. It's a terrible clutch, makes traffic a mare, but usual driving you get used to it.
          ///DStyle+ VTi 120 in white/black/red ///
          Join the Facebook Group!
          Join the Discord Server!

Comment

Unfortunately pretty much all DS3's suffer from Bump Steer, due to the low profile tyres and the fact it's front wheel drive. Once used to it you rarely notice it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dazaman View Post
              Unfortunately pretty much all DS3's suffer from Bump Steer, due to the low profile tyres and the fact it's front wheel drive. Once used to it you rarely notice it.
              Bump steer is a geometry issue with the suspension and steering control arms.
              Originally posted by cyclone
              It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
              Originally posted by Broda
              I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Originally posted by cyclone View Post

Bump steer is a geometry issue with the suspension and steering control arms.

That's bump steer. When the wheels momentarily turn without input from the steering wheel when hitting a bump/hole/crater/black hole. Pretty much all front wheel drives will suffer from this, whether its very minor to major noticeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Dazaman View Post

That's bump steer. When the wheels momentarily turn without input from the steering wheel when hitting a bump/hole/crater/black hole. Pretty much all front wheel drives will suffer from this, whether its very minor to major noticeable.
                  The question is. What is causing the wheels to turn as the suspension moves through it's range of motion. McPherson strut suspensions are typical of a front drive car but also used on many rear drive cars. This design does tend to suffer from bump steer because the tie rod for the steering and the lower control arm are not put on the same plane and pivot on different arcs. This causes the steering arm to move as the wheel travels. Basically it is built into the suspension! The closer the control arm and steering rod are to pivoting on the same axis the less bump steer is caused. Some of it may be intentionally there to cause a roll steer condition leading to understeer. Moving the steering box up or down depending may make it better and may have been the offending component to begin with, only being mounted where it was for packaging reasons. Lowering or raising a car can definitely make bump steer worse by throwing the geometry out of whack even more. Tyre choice can make bump steer more noticeable because of less flex in a low profile tire sidewall but the bump steer was always there before hand. Then of course a rear suspension can also have bump steer...
                  Originally posted by cyclone
                  It is in the handbook. Satisfied.
                  Originally posted by Broda
                  I would rather teabag a bear trap

Comment

Working...
                  X