Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternator replacement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Alternator replacement

    Hi all,

    I have a 2011 1.6HDi 110bhp DS3 NON stop start. Had a new battery fitted but the voltage is still only 13v when running. I'm assuming that's the alternator not doing its job now as it should be 13.7-14.7v. Do these cars need a specific alternator for different specs? Petrol/Diesel, engine size etc...? I know one is non stop start.

    Are they easy to replace or is it a pig? Remove loads of parts including bumper for access?

    thanks in advance.

    sigpic
    2011 (61) 1.6 HDi DSport 110bhp

  • #2
    Hi Matty. My honest answer, is I don't know! Hopefully someone more technical will come along to help. Have you tried entering your reg into euro car parts website to see what alternator is needed for your model? I chucked mine in and it came up with a few (not very cheap) results. I have a 115 eHDi, but mine IS a s/s, so yours might be cheaper.
    DS3 DSport - eHDi 115 Airdream - Shark Grey with Infinite Blue Roof & Mirrors
    "Roads?... Where we're going we don't need....roads!"

    Comment


    • #3
      when I had trouble on my Clio, RAC came along and gave me a full print out of what was working and what was not, on the electrical system (Was me battery in the end)
      Are you in AA RAC?
      sigpic
      Jog on Noddy

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
        when I had trouble on my Clio, RAC came along and gave me a full print out of what was working and what was not, on the electrical system (Was me battery in the end)
        Are you in AA RAC?
        I have a lexia so can read all the codes. The ones I've had seem to show a drip in voltage when the error occurs. Thats why I changed the battery as it was also checked and they said it had no health left when tested. Use a OBD reader when driving and it doesn't go above 13v when running. Should be 13.7-14.7. Alternator looks a silly job to gain access. Intercooler off to make a big enough hole to get it out. Bumper off to I would imagine.

        sigpic
        2011 (61) 1.6 HDi DSport 110bhp

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Funky View Post
          Hi Matty. My honest answer, is I don't know! Hopefully someone more technical will come along to help. Have you tried entering your reg into euro car parts website to see what alternator is needed for your model? I chucked mine in and it came up with a few (not very cheap) results. I have a 115 eHDi, but mine IS a s/s, so yours might be cheaper.
          Yeah euro comes up with 2. One non stop start and one stop start. I know someone who owns a bus company and in his account I cam get one for 171 plus VAT. Stop start was 400. Thinking I'm going down the second hand route at the moment.

          sigpic
          2011 (61) 1.6 HDi DSport 110bhp

          Comment


          • #6
            Put the headlamps, the rear screen and the blowers on full.
            If you are still getting 13v or above and the battery lamp is not on there may not be a concern.
            Modern vehicles conserve fuel by smart charging.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Tommy D View Post
              Put the headlamps, the rear screen and the blowers on full.
              If you are still getting 13v or above and the battery lamp is not on there may not be a concern.
              Modern vehicles conserve fuel by smart charging.
              Had everything on and held revs at 2000rpm. Wouldn't go above 13v. It's 13v when sitting on tick over and 13v when driving. Only real change I saw was when I was going down a hill for example I took my foot of of the accelerator completely and it went up to 14.2v. Soon as I went back onto the throttle it dropped back to 13v.

              I have lexia and the faults I get show the volts at the time of error. The battery showed 11.7v and 16.1v so a bike spike. Changed battery and it's still logging a few bits and volts are just as low if not lower.

              Had both these the past few days.

              P0562 - system voltage low
              P0563 - system voltage high

              sigpic
              2011 (61) 1.6 HDi DSport 110bhp

              Comment


              • #8
                If you are confident of your findings, then yep, second hand or refurbed alternator
                Intercooler shouldn't be bad to remove, and maybe jacking up would help
                Just removed the front from my Clio, and it was much easier than I imagined, just a few bolts to find here and there.
                sigpic
                Jog on Noddy

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Chris_Blue View Post
                  If you are confident of your findings, then yep, second hand or refurbed alternator
                  Intercooler shouldn't be bad to remove, and maybe jacking up would help
                  Just removed the front from my Clio, and it was much easier than I imagined, just a few bolts to find here and there.
                  Yeah bumper off, intercooler off then should come straight off easy after that. Was trying to avoid the bumper off as the bumper lugs are smashed to bits. It a tiger sealed on so I'll have to break that seal and 're apply tiger seal again.

                  sigpic
                  2011 (61) 1.6 HDi DSport 110bhp

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by mattyharman View Post

                    Yeah bumper off, intercooler off then should come straight off easy after that. Was trying to avoid the bumper off as the bumper lugs are smashed to bits. It a tiger sealed on so I'll have to break that seal and 're apply tiger seal again.
                    are you sure you cant get to alternator using a couple of axle stands at the front. You could then access from top and bottom

                    Cant see Citroen Techs removing front panels to get at an alternator...
                    sigpic
                    Jog on Noddy

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      The quickest way to replace the alternator is to remove the bumper and the intercooler.
                      The messing around to get the alternator through small gaps is just not worth it.
                      With the car on axle stands you can have the entire front end off in an hour.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X