Reversing camera

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reversing camera

Hi there. My second post as a new member!

I'm in the process of fitting a reversing camera to my DS3 DSport, as an after market unit. The unit I have bought has a flip up display that looks quite neat on the top of the dash. I've wired from the front to the rear of the car and worked out how to route the camera to sit above/or maybe below the rear number plate. I'd like to hide as much of the cable from the display as I can, however, so have been looking to see how best to route the wires. No problem putting them behind the trim at the windscreen, but ideally would like to possibly run them via the front Hi fi speaker module. I can see the cover for the Hifi dash speaker is held in place by plastic lugs, but I am reluctant to put any more force (even with my trusty plastic spatula!) into trying to remove the cover. Has anyone done this and can advise how they achieved removal? Pictures are worth a thousand words of course, so anything would help. I did also explore removing the glove box to give me better access to run the cables to a power source and connect the camera cables, After removing the retaining screws, the trim fasteners and releasing the offside clips, however, was reluctant to put any more force into removal. I do plan to take some photos of the work as I progress - It just might help other club owners who are thinking along the same lines?.

Finally, many thanks for the response on my first post. It is very encouraging to be on a forum where owners have such a wide knowledge and experience of the marque!

Cheers!!

Hi Ronseal. Try looking at Berch's guide thread. He installed a rear camera. Has pictures too, so it may help.

http://www.ds3club.co.uk/forum/ds3/d...mera-into-Car=
    DS3 DSport - eHDi 115 Airdream - Shark Grey with Infinite Blue Roof & Mirrors
    "Roads?... Where we're going we don't need....roads!"

Comment

Which head unit did you use? I've been looking into these

Comment

Many thanks for the response Funky. i had seen Berch's thread and it was really good to have photos and a commentary of how he had tackled the job. I've taken a slightly different route with the wiring, but this is only because I'm installing a 'stand alone' unit. So far so good, At the rear of the car I've run the camera lead through a hole drilled in the spare wheel well (grommeted of course!) and can then exit the wire through the aperture behind the number plate. I'm able then to 'test' the camera in different positions, above or below the plate. I didn't go for the number plate light fitting, but only because I bought a 'universal kit. I've also tapped into the reversing light wiring as described.on Berch's post. My main issue now is doing a decent job of wiring at the head unit, trying to minimise any cable showing. If I can route via the dashboard Hi fi speaker it would make the job far neater If not there'll be another couple of inches of cable showing running to the front screen - I'm probably being a bit fussy but want to end up with as neat a job as I can manage. Thanks again.

Comment

Hi Sean8098. If you can bear with me I'll take some photos of the head 'in-situ'. I'll be working on the installation again tomorrow so will see how things progress. Cheers

Comment

Thanks, I've been trying to find the right one for me

Comment

Latest update. The 'hi-fi- cover' on the dash is held in by 7 plastic tags Needs carefully prizing off. A hair dryer to warm up the plastic tags will makes the job easier. Nothing else holds it in place and you can twist off the alarm LED. Apologies for quality of photos - new camera on order!

Comment

For those interested I've finished installing my after-market reversing camera. No real issues, just a lot of fiddly work! I've photographed the various stages in order that anyone else attempting a similar fix can see how I tackled it. Hopefully all the photos and text are there. I'm no auto electrician or motor mechanic but this was a pretty straightforward installation. I'd guess the DS3 hatchback would be an even easier install. Working inside the 'boot' of my cabrio was probably the most uncomfortable experience of the whole project!

Comment

Really tidy job Ronseal and nice picture guide. Looks great and very neat. How long did it take you?
                  DS3 DSport - eHDi 115 Airdream - Shark Grey with Infinite Blue Roof & Mirrors
                  "Roads?... Where we're going we don't need....roads!"

Comment

Hi Funky.

Thanks for the feedback. It took me a while, but I did it gradually, stage by stage over the last week. The main issues were attempting and then abandoning the idea of removing the glove box. It just wasn't worth the risk of damaging it. On the face of it the panels on the DS3 are removable, but you do risk the chance breaking a plastic tag or two. I was pleased to find the aperture below the dashboard speaker that enabled the cables to be fed through. Getting the camera through to the rear panel required a hole drilling in the spare wheel area and then routing the cable through the aperture behind the number plate. There's a pretty large square 'hole' in the cabriolet so routing through the rear number plate light area, or considering a rear camera/rear number plate cluster was eliminated. Connecting to the reversing lamp wasn't too much of a problem with the rear light cluster removed. I did copy Berch's wiring from his post at first - a mistake, my wiring must be different?. I should have relied on my trusty meter in the first place! Finally, I was going to connect the power to the head somewhere near the interior fuses, but it was simpler and more straightforward to connect to the 12 volt accessory point. All in all I tried not to hurry the installation & did it stage by stage and 'slept on' how to progress - this proved to be the best course of action as I think I came up with better routing methods as a result & achieved as neat a job as I could manage. Next job is to do the same on my wifes Saab 9-3 convertible using a rear view mirror mounted display. I'd already started that and installed the rear view camera and wired to the front of the car, but getting a neat wiring job to the rear view mirror is a bit of a challenge, so decided to give it some more thought and tackle the DS3 first. Hope this helps. Cheers!

Comment

Good write up, very informative.

Regarding getting the wiring to the rear view mirror in your wife’s car. In the DS3 the A pillar trim is quite easy to remove and has a channel behind for wiring. I wonder if the Saab might be similar.
                      - DS3 DSport Plus - THP 155 - Belle-ile Blue with Perla Nera Black Roof -
                      - DS3Club Discord -

Comment

Hi BeefMasta. Yep, Many thanks for that. No problem getting the wiring to the rear view mirror as you say.- I've achieved that and there is power there of course. My main issue is making a decent job of the wiring into the mirror head - purely cosmetic, but I wasn't entirely happy with my first efforts, so concentrated on the DS3 instead . Having 'slept on it' I'll renew my efforts to make as neat a job as I can. Cheers!

Comment

Working...
                        X